[U-Boot] Use u-boot to recover bricked NVIDIA SHIELD TV.

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Jun 19 15:53:04 UTC 2017

On 06/18/2017 04:46 PM, Matthew Gorski wrote:
> I am curious if there is a possibility to recover a wrongly flashed
> NVIDIA SHIELD TV device by flashing u-boot instead of cboot and mounting
> the emmc in uboot to do some repairs.

The NVIDIA SHIELD TV is a production Android device, and hence I'm
pretty sure it has boot security enabled. This security also applies to
the USB recovery mode protocol, so I don't believe you'll be able to
communicate with the device unless you know the system's keys, which I
assume you don't.

There is some support for flashing generic upstream Linux onto the
NVIDIA SHIELD tablet, but I believe that relies on  making (at least
some of) the modifications from a running system, so if your system
isn't booting, I don't expect this will work either. Just in case it's
useful, see:

https://github.com/linux-shield