[U-Boot] OMAP3 U-Boot Device Tree

Adam Ford aford173 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 00:31:32 UTC 2017

I understand the purpose of using a device tree for the Linux kernel,
but it's not entirely clear to me what the need would be for using it
in the bootloader.

I was thinking about experimenting with porting my board (OMAP3 /
DM3730) to using a device tree from Linux, but I assume there needs to
be a fair amount Device tree stuff brought over from Linux and I also
assume that the drivers will need to be adapted to work with the
device tree.  I see that a bunch am am33x and similar boards have been
ported, but it seems like there is more to it than just a simple copy
paste the device tree from Linux.

Is there a significant benefit to running U-Boot with the device tree embedded?

adam