[U-Boot] linking rockchip-linux/u-boot.git with binutils-2.28

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Mar 8 15:35:19 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 08:18:16AM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:
> +Tom
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 8 March 2017 at 01:43, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ...and as it turns out linking with -N succeeds! Who knew? The help message
> > > was actually helpful! :-D
> >
> > I'm glad this wasn't just me seeing this. I have seen breakage with
> > this too but hadn't had time to investigate this further than just
> > realising it was the new binutils.
> >
> > Simon is adding -N the proper fix? Might be useful to get a fix into
> > 2017.03 GA as I'm sure in the coming weeks the new binutils will start
> > to land more widely in various distros.
>
> Well we only have a few more days so if you want that please send a
> patch and we'll see what Tom says. What does the -N flag do?

Looking at the manpage for v2.26.1:
       -N
       --omagic
           Set the text and data sections to be readable and writable.  Also,
           do not page-align the data segment, and disable linking against
           shared libraries.  If the output format supports Unix style magic
           numbers, mark the output as "OMAGIC". Note: Although a writable
           text section is allowed for PE-COFF targets, it does not conform to
           the format specification published by Microsoft.

So, today we don't try and use a writable text section anywhere, perhaps
we can do -N --no-omgic (which negates most of what -N does, but since
we use a custom linker script I think at least the alignment part above
isn't true anyhow) ?

--
Tom