[U-Boot] Ethernet not detecting on Odroid u3

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 07:52:37 UTC 2017

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 12:18:50 +0200
Siarhei Siamashka <siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:02:48 +0530
> Anand Moon <linux.amoon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I tried to compile the latest u-boot for Odroid U3.
> > issue is that Ethernet is not able to detected.
> >
> > Please let me know what need to enable USB Ethernet
> > to support tftp boot.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > -Anand
> >
> > ------
> > U-Boot 2017.01-02075-g4386feb-dirty (Jan 12 2017 - 06:17:08 +0000)
> >
> > CPU:   Exynos4412 @ 1 GHz
> > Model: Odroid based on Exynos4412
> > Board: Odroid based on Exynos4412
> > Type:  u3
> > DRAM:  2 GiB
> > LDO20 at VDDQ_EMMC_1.8V: set 1800000 uV; enabling
> > LDO22 at VDDQ_EMMC_2.8V: set 2800000 uV; enabling
> > LDO21 at TFLASH_2.8V: set 2800000 uV; enabling
> > MMC:   SAMSUNG SDHCI: 0, EXYNOS DWMMC: 1
> > *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment
> >
> > Net:   No ethernet found.
> > Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
> > Odroid #
> > Odroid #
> > Odroid # usb start
> > starting USB...
> > USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
> > scanning bus 0 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
> >        scanning usb for ethernet devices... 0 Ethernet Device(s) found
> > Odroid #
> > Odroid #
> > Odroid # setenv usbethaddr 02:DE:AD:BE:EF:FF
> > Odroid # usb start
> > Odroid # usb info
> > 1: Hub,  USB Revision 2.0
> >  - u-boot EHCI Host Controller
> >  - Class: Hub
> >  - PacketSize: 64  Configurations: 1
> >  - Vendor: 0x0000  Product 0x0000 Version 1.0
> >    Configuration: 1
> >    - Interfaces: 1 Self Powered 0mA
> >      Interface: 0
> >      - Alternate Setting 0, Endpoints: 1
> >      - Class Hub
> >      - Endpoint 1 In Interrupt MaxPacket 8 Interval 255ms
> >
> > Odroid # reset
>
> Hi Anand,
>
> It's an old problem and we have identified its root cause a long
> time ago:
>
>     https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-October/231061.html
>
> Basically, a voltage regulator is not getting initialized because
> a call to the board_usb_init() function was lost during the DM
> conversion. You can try to compile U-Boot from my branch, it contains
> the rebased fixes which I have been using all this time on my ODROID-X
> board:
>
>     https://github.com/ssvb/u-boot/commits/20170306-unbreak-odroid
>
> I did all the initial investigation back in 2015, but tried to
> delegate the actual bugfixing work to the ODROID board maintainer(s).
> Apparently it did not fly and ODROID support is still broken.
>
> If you can test my branch and confirm that it works on your ODROID-U3,
> then I can maybe spend some time on making cleaner patches and ensuring
> that they reach the U-Boot git repository.
>
> Thanks!

Hello again,

Anand Moon, considering no reply to my post, do I understand it
right that you are actually not very much interested in getting
this particular problem resolved in U-Boot?

These ODROID problems are relatively simple and don't require any
special skills or considerable efforts to resolve. The only issue
is that apparently almost nobody uses the mainline U-Boot on this
hardware and nobody gives rats about having it usable out of the
box.

I only have an ODROID-X board, which is a rather early and
short-lived revision. Again, if you or anybody else could step in
and take care of testing the fixes on other ODROID boards (X2 and
U3), then we could get ODROID boards working properly in the next
U-Boot release.

Jaehoon Chung, you seem to be listed as the current nominal ODROID
boards maintainer. But you don't seem to be doing anything other
than just making promises to check various things and then
disappearing for months/years:

    https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2017-January/277954.html
    https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-October/231023.html

Could you please explain what's going on and what are your plans
regarding ODROID boards support in U-Boot?

Siarhei Siamashka