[U-Boot] Why is ns16550 guarded by !OF_PLATDATA ?

Alexandru Gagniuc alex.g at adaptrum.com
Thu Mar 16 21:00:32 UTC 2017

I'm trying to use the ns16550 DM driver in a platform where havind a dtb
in SPL is not plausible, so we're using platdata.

Now for ns16550 The U_BOOT_DRIVER is guarded by !OF_PLATDATA, so the
driver is not compiled in SPL. This seems inconsistent with other
U_BOOT_DRIVERs. This was introduced in the following commit [1]:

* b2927fb dm: serial: ns16550: Update to support of-platdata

The reasoning was that the platdata structure is unknown, but one would
have to provide a 'struct ns16550_platdata' when using platdata, and
that is the case with the boards that use this driver with platdata.

Is this a misguided change, or am I missing something deeper? I can
prepare a patch to resolve this, if this is the consensus.

Alex

[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2016-July/259744.html