[U-Boot] [U-Boot 0/3] introduce Rockchip rockusb

Kever Yang kever.yang at rock-chips.com
Tue Mar 21 05:17:18 UTC 2017

Hi Marek,

On 03/21/2017 12:33 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 03/20/2017 05:01 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
>> Hi Marek,

>>> This does not really answer my question. We have protocols which
>>> implement exactly this functionality already, why do we need another one ?
>> I think the point is that this is widely used with Rockchip devices,
>> and for mainline U-Boot to be fully useful it needs to support it.
> OK, I'll leave that decision to Lukasz . I'm not a big fan of adding
> redundant functionality only because someone thought NIH is good before
> looking at standards.

I don't know how you define "redundant functionality", from the gadget
framework view,
yes, it's very similar to other storage based gadget, we may able to
re-use the common part of the framework.
But it's definitely a different USB class driver which is used in
Rockchip bootrom
and Rockchip loader, and some commands like RD(Reset device),
DB(download boot)
are not able to use in ums or fastboot, but they are useful in Rockchip
platform.

Thanks,
- Kever