[U-Boot] U-boot multi-file format

Diego diego.ml at zoho.com
Thu Mar 30 10:13:16 UTC 2017

In data domenica 19 marzo 2017 23:14:14 CEST, Diego ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use the multi-file format mentioned in pages 12-13 of "U-Boot
> – Multi image booting scenarios" PDF slides.
>
> I'd like to use FIT format, but I already have units in the field without
> CONFIG_FIT.
>
> So I'd like to use the legacy U-Boot multi-file format, but I don't
> understand the format that should be used for the ramdisk. I already have a
> multi-file image that boots the kernel with the dtb, but it crashes when
> the ramdisk is needed (looking for an address outside of physical memory
> limits).
>
> Which format should be used for the ramdisk? ext3.gz initrd? cpio.gz
> initramfs?

Hi all,

as I've found the solution, I'll reply myself in the hope it might help
somebody in the future.

The format can be both ext3.gz initrd, or cpio.gz, as I've seen a working
example of ext3.gz initrd here:
https://alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51423&p=212064#post212064
And I've been able to make a cpio.gz initramfs by specifying an initrd_high
address below the location of the multi-file address. Leaving the
initrd_high=0xffffffff was causing the kernel to not find the ramdisk image,
thus crashing.

Hope it helps,
Diego