[U-Boot] Xpedite boards

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat May 13 01:11:02 UTC 2017

Hi Peter,

On 11 May 2017 at 17:27, Peter Tyser <ptyser at xes-inc.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>

> > I am trying to help with the U-Boot conversion of CONFIG options to
> > Kconfig. I notice that the Xpedite boards use a ds4510 driver which
> > defines quite a few of these options. I could potentially convert it
> > to Kconfig.
>
> Thanks, and thanks for your work on U-Boot improvements in general over
> the last few years!  I've been out of the development loop, but it's
> neat to see the improvements you've been shepherding.

OK thanks!

> > However, many of the options in these boards define I2C addresses,
> > which these days should be done with driver model / device tree.
> >
> > I wonder if you have any interest in converting these boards as part
> > of ongoing work?
>
> I definitely have interest, but am iffy on the time:)  From what I
> understand PowerPC has been pretty tardy on moving to the driver model
> / device tree, and no PowerPC board uses the device tree control at
> this point.  To make sure I understand the end goal, you're asking
> about defining CONFIG_OF_CONTROL for the XPedite boards?  This would
> primarily entail getting CONFIG_OF_CONTROL working, at which point the
> driver model should "just work"?  Let me know if I'm missing the high
> level picture.

PowerPC does support this - e.g. see glacier and related boards.

I think the steps are something like:
- Set up a suitable device tree for the board (can be bare-bones)
- Enable OF_CONTROL etc.
- Move the CONFIG options to the device tree
- Convert anything remaining with the moveconfig.py tool

Regards,
Simon