[U-Boot] Rockchip GRF/PMUGRF/CRU reg access in U-Boot

Dr. Philipp Tomsich philipp.tomsich at theobroma-systems.com
Fri Oct 20 09:00:10 UTC 2017

Kever,

> On 20 Oct 2017, at 03:59, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Simon and Philipp.
>
>     I would like to include Heiko who is maintainer of upstream kernel Rockchip SoC for this topic.
>
> For the driver related to grf, which including pinctrl, usb phy, gmac and many other modules, we would like to sync with kernel, so that we can re-use the dtsi from kernel. The use of grf register have many discuss on upstream kernel already, and all modules use grf with a &grf reference and offset in dts.
>
> U-Boot coding style says "Use structures for I/O access", in my opinion, this is good for most case, but not for registers like Rockchip grf, because it's related for many modules, and it's different in different SoC, use "base addr + offset" for grf reg in dtsi and decode it in driver is much more reasonable for grf related driver setting. Just like the line size 80 is max, we follow the rule in most case, but in some case, more than 80 characters is better for read, then we use more than 80 characters. We can merge pinctrl driver into one file like kernel if we can use this feature, and the same with sysreset, soft reset...We are not going to follow the dead rules for all cases, we have to use the one which is better for us.
>
> To make it more clear, here is an example:
>
> Looking at drivers/sysreset/sysreset_rk3xxx.c(there are 8 files and more to come), the source code are almost the same, the only difference is the reg address of glb_srst_snd_value and glb_srst_fst_value in cru,  we can very easy to decode this from dts in one common driver if we use 'base + offset'. If we insist on using structure for this kind of reg access, to merge them into one common driver we have to including all different SoC cru definition and use different variable for different SoC, there would be many '#ifdef ... #else' in the file like this

In the sysreset-case there shouldn’t be a change to the DTSI necessary.
The sysreset-drivers are always instantiated from the clock-drivers, as in the following example:
	static int rk3399_clk_bind(struct udevice *dev)
	{
	        int ret;

	        /* The reset driver does not have a device node, so bind it here */
	        ret = device_bind_driver(gd->dm_root, "rk3399_sysreset", "reset", &dev);
	        if (ret)
	                printf("Warning: No RK3399 reset driver: ret=%d\n", ret);

	        return 0;
	}

Given this, the offset of the sysreset register in the GRF can be easily passed in during binding the driver by changing this code (the following is just pseudocode w/o error handling) to:
	struct driver *drv = lists_driver_lookup_name(“rk3399_sysreset”);
	ulong drv_data = offsetof(grf_struct, sysreset_reg);
	device_bind_with_driver_data(parent, drv, dev_name, drv_data, gd->dm_root, &dev);

And: thank you for getting around to look at the sysreset situation and starting work on deduplicating this.

> #ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK3036
>
> #include <asm/arch/cru_rk3036.h>
>
> #else ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK3188
>
> #include <asm/arch/cru_rk3188.h>
>
> #else ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK322x
>
> #include <asm/arch/cru_rk322x.h>
>
> #else ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK3288
>
> #include <asm/arch/cru_rk3288.h>
>
> #else ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK3328
>
> #include <asm/arch/cru_rk3288.h>
>
> #else ifdef CONFIG_ROCKCHIP_RK3368
>
> #include <asm/arch/cru_rk3368.h>

> #endif
>
> and also this is need when we define and use the cru variant.
>

> I would like to use two dts decode instead like this for all SoCs:
> rphy->grf_base = syscon_get_first_range(ROCKCHIP_SYSCON_GRF);
> ofnode_read_u32(dev_ofnode(dev), "reg", &reg)
> sysreset_reg = rphy->grf_base + reg;
>
> and dts for different SoC like this:
>         rockchip,grf = <&grf>;
>         reg = <0x017c>;

The proper coding style in U-Boot would be to use the syscon-functions to perform a read/write to an offset.
In other words
	regmap_read(grf, reg, &valp)
should be used to read the location for the above example.

Note that his works only, if the layout within these registers is the same across devices.

> We wish upstream U-Boot can accept this kind of coding, I believe when the coding style was made, it does not met the controller reg like Rockchip GRF.

In fact the regmap and syscon device classes have always been intended to work exactly for such cases.

There is one convenience layer (on top of) regmap missing to write bitfields in or across symbolically named
registers.  However, this may be an intentional omission as such functionality will most likely need to be
handled by misc-devices (which is the reason why I finally started work to get our GMAC-related control
offloaded into chip-specific misc device).