[U-Boot] [RFC 0/4] sunxi: Implement transition in environment

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Oct 25 15:32:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 02:25:57PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is an RFC to implement the transition from a raw environment in
> the MMC to a FAT file in the first bootable partition.
>
> This is based in a custom environment method that reuses the mmc and
> fat codes as much as possible, and just deals with the fallbacks,
> printing a warning when we're using the now legacy setup so that we
> can warn our user of the future breakage.
>
> This has just been compile tested, I'm mostly looking for feedback on
> the appoach at this point.
>
> Thanks!
> Maxime
>
> Maxime Ripard (4):
>   env: Rework mmc environment ifdef
>   env; fat: Allow the fat environment to be embedded by another one
>   env: Create an environment transition method
>   env: sunxi: Switch by default to the transition environment code
>
>  cmd/nvedit.c                   |  1 +
>  env/Kconfig                    | 14 +++++++---
>  env/Makefile                   |  1 +
>  env/fat.c                      | 12 +++++++--
>  env/mmc.c                      | 24 +++++++++--------
>  env/sunxi-transition.c         | 59 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  include/configs/sunxi-common.h |  2 +-
>  include/environment.h          |  1 +
>  create mode 100644 env/sunxi-transition.c

So, it looks like a lot of what Simon did so that we could have more
than one environment type compiled in was a step in the right direction.
What we should be able to move forward on is being able to link in both
FAT and MMC and whatever is found work, along with a Kconfig choice for
what should be the default one, or some other way that's not just link
order to control that.

--
Tom