[U-Boot] [RFC] efi_loader: frame buffers in EFI GOP and DM_VIDEO

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Wed Oct 25 19:45:43 UTC 2017

Hello Alex, hello Simon,

I have just been reading through efi_gop and video_uclass.c and there
seems to be something missing in the support of video modes.

U-Boot configuration knows the following color models:

16-color
256-color
32k (1:5:5:5)
64k (5:6:5)
16.8M (8:8:8)

In lib/efi_loader/efi_gop.c I only found

VIDEO_BPP32
VIDEO_BPP16
Patch a812241091ce efi_loader: Add DM_VIDEO support (Alexander Graf)

Shouldn't gop_blt differentiate between 32k and 64k color mode?
Unfortunately video_uclass.c cannot tell the difference!
What about 4 and 8 bit modes?

When I look at the coding in video_uclass.c, function video_clear it
seems that this only correctly supports 32bit and 8bit mode.
Patch 1acafc73bfc7 dm: video: Add a video uclass (Simon Glass)

Shouldn't 4, 15 and 16 bit modes be added here?

Best regards

Heinrich