[U-Boot] Where should Renesas RZ/A go under arch/arm/ ????

Chris Brandt Chris.Brandt at renesas.com
Tue Oct 31 15:26:02 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply!

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 12:13:22PM +0000, Chris Brandt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Since I've been supporting a u-boot for the Renesas RZ/A1 SoC for a
> > while now, I thought I'd start upstreaming the drivers/patches I've
> acquired
> > over the years.
> >
> > But, where should the core files and Kconfig go?
> >
> > The RZ/A1 series has a Cortex-A9.
> >
> > At first, I had made a directory under arch/arm/cpu/armv7/
> >
> > But, now I see things are moving under arch/arm/mach-xxxx.
> >
> > There is a arch/arm/mach-rmobile directory that has the Renesas R-Car
> > devices. But while the RZ/A1 uses some of the same HW IP blocks, for the
> > most part it's a different product line.
> >
> > So, Where should I put my RZ/A1 (and future RZ/A devices, or future RZ/N
> > devices)?
> >
> > 1. Keep all Renesas parts together like we do in the kernel (arm/mach-
> shmobile)?
> >
> >    u-boot/arch/arm/mach-rmobile
>
> I would vote for renaming and matching the kernel here and using
> mach-shmobile.  Thanks!

Ugh! That shmobile name is going to haunt us forever (even though we
don't even make SH-Mobile parts anymore....and they are all ARM cores now,
not SH).

I will say that upstream in the kernel, most everything else has been
renamed to "renesas" (ie, ARCH_RENESAS, )...except that directory name. I
asked if/when they would rename it, but at the moment, there is not plan
as not to break anything.

Maybe we can compromise on everything in mach-renesas??

Chris