[U-Boot] efi_loader: runtime services implementation broken?

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:51:58 UTC 2018

Hi Alex,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:05 PM, Alexander Graf <agraf at suse.de> wrote:
> On 07/03/2018 04:56 PM, Bin Meng wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,

>>> Correct. This is done for everything right now, no?
>>
>> For example, efi_set_virtual_address_map() is not declared as
>> __efi_runtime.
>

> Is that called post exit boot services on x86?

Yes, if you look at efi_runtime_services structure in
lib/efi_loader/efi_runtime.c, you can see
efi_set_virtual_address_map() is hooked up there, and all interfaces
in efi_runtime_services are supposed to be called by OS as their names
indicate, runtime not bootime.

>>> Why?
>>>
>> Unless we track down every APIs called by runtime services and mark
>> them correctly as __efi_runtime code/data.
>

> That's the idea, yes. The vector should be quite small as long as we don't
> actually implement / reuse drivers.

However this currently seems not to be the case ..

>>> Can you please try with my efi-next branch? I added a few patches that
>>> allow
>>> gcc to put implicit data and code into the runtime section. Without
>>> those,
>>> you may get constant propagation into a the common .rodata segment for
>>> example.
>>>
>> Still the same.
>

> Ok, maybe the x86 efi stub does things different from the ARM one then.

maybe :(

Regards,
Bin