[U-Boot] SoCFPGA PL330 DMA driver and ECC scrubbing

Jason Rush jarush at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 12:10:48 UTC 2018

On 7/9/2018 3:08 AM, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 07/07/2018 12:56 AM, Jason Rush wrote:

>>> Is the DRAM area set as cacheable in the MMU tables ?
>>>
>> Good news bad news...  The MMU tables weren't being set up because the
>> bd->bi_dram[bank].start and bd->bi_dram[bank].size weren't set up.  As a quick
>> test, I hardcoded start to 0 and size to 1GiB.  After that, the memset was
>> really quick, U-Boot loads, Linux loads, and everything seems to work great.
> Good.
>
>> However, if I press the HPS_RST push button on the SoCKit (which is connected
>> to power on reset), occasionally U-Boot will lock up while booting.  It always
>> boots and operates correctly from the initial power on, but it almost always
>> fails to boot after pressing the HPS_RST button.
>>
>> Usually after pressing the HPS_RST button, U-Boot makes it past the SPL, and
>> hangs somewhere after the call to setup_reloc() in ./common/board_f.c.  Once
>> it hangs there, pressing the HPS_RST button again usually causes the SPL to
>> hang while setting up the MMU (before my call to memset).  Eventually the
>> WDT kicks in, and it just keeps hanging up in the same place.  Once it gets in
>> this mode, the only way to recover it is by toggling power on the board.
>>
>> I spent a bunch of time today trying to track down where it was hanging, but
>> I couldn't pin point anything.  The MMU tables looked correct.  The MMU
>> registers looked good.  I'm not sure the best way to debug what's going on.
> Try triggering warm reset and cold reset via the reset register:
>
> mw 0xffd05004 1
> mw 0xffd05004 2
>
> Does it hang in one case and not in the other ?

It hangs in both cases.

I did find that if I do not metset the last 1MiB of DRAM with the cache on,
both warm and cold resets work.

I changed the ecc scrubbing to zero out the first 0x8000 bytes and the last
0x10000 bytes before the MMU is setup and I enable dcache.  Then with
the dcache enabled, I zero out the rest of memory.  The resets work in this
case as well.  So there seems to be some side effect of clearing out the
relocate address space with the cache on.