[U-Boot] [RFC 1/2] env: Drop error messages when loading environment

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 18 06:19:50 UTC 2018

Dear Sam,

In message <20180717220912.11358-1-semen.protsenko at linaro.org> you wrote:
> This is just a draft to discuss ideas related to "Make U-Boot log great
> again" thread.
>
> With this patch we will have something like this:

> instead of this:

>     ** Bad device mmc 0 **
>     Failed (-5)

Why do you think an error message "Failed (-5)" looks great?

>From a user's point of view, the "MMC: no card present"
is _much_ better (but of course it could still be improved).

Printing cryptic error codes has never been a good idea and is
definitly not a "great" idea.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Some  can  avoid  it.
Geniuses remove it.
     - Perlis's Programming Proverb #58, SIGPLAN Notices, Sept.  1982