[U-Boot] [RFC 2/2] env: Add prefix to error messages when loading env

Sam Protsenko semen.protsenko at linaro.org
Wed Jul 18 13:04:49 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 01:09:12AM +0300, Sam Protsenko wrote:
>
>> This is just a draft to discuss ideas related to "Make U-Boot log great
>> again" thread.
>>
>> With this patch we will see something like:

>>        --> MMC: no card present
>>        --> ** Bad device mmc 0 **
>>        --> Failed (-5)
>>        --> OK
>>
>> instead of:

>>     ** Bad device mmc 0 **
>>     Failed (-5)
>
> So, I think maybe (and given Wolfgang's comments) we should think about
> how the output might want to look, and how to get there without GD
> changes.  Perhaps:
> Attempting to load Environment from FAT (do we have more easily
> available info at this point?):

Which exactly info do you mean?

> MMC: no card present
> ** Bad device mmc 0 **
> Failed (-5)
> Attempting to load Environment from MMC:
> Succeeded

What do you think if we add some prefix to first message, like:

    ---> Attempting to load Environment from FAT:
    MMC: no card present
    ** Bad device mmc 0 **
    Failed (-5)
    ---> Attempting to load Environment from MMC:
    Succeeded

just to emphasize that possible errors are belong to prefixed line?
Does it seem better or more ugly to you?

Overall, I agree that this is probably the only sane thing we can do
right now, without meddling too much with drivers code.