[U-Boot] [RFC 2/2] env: Add prefix to error messages when loading env

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 18 14:09:33 UTC 2018

Dear Tom,

In message <20180718125351.GE4609 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> >        --> MMC: no card present
> >        --> ** Bad device mmc 0 **
> >        --> Failed (-5)
> >        --> OK
> >
> > instead of:

> >     ** Bad device mmc 0 **
> >     Failed (-5)
>
> So, I think maybe (and given Wolfgang's comments) we should think about
> how the output might want to look, and how to get there without GD
> changes.  Perhaps:
> Attempting to load Environment from FAT (do we have more easily
> available info at this point?):
> MMC: no card present
> ** Bad device mmc 0 **
> Failed (-5)
> Attempting to load Environment from MMC:
> Succeeded

Just my 0.02€:

In the non-error case, the output should be a single (ideally short)
line.

Rationale:  to many lines of ourput clutter your screen and make you
miss context faster; to many/long lines take time to print so they
make booting slower.

In the error case, the user should be able to understand what the
problem was and decide if it was critical or can be ignored (like
here when intentionally booting without SDCard).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."                  - Aeschylus