[U-Boot] [RFC 2/2] env: Add prefix to error messages when loading env

Sam Protsenko semen.protsenko at linaro.org
Thu Jul 19 13:12:20 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 04:09:33PM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Dear Tom,

>> > So, I think maybe (and given Wolfgang's comments) we should think about
>> > how the output might want to look, and how to get there without GD
>> > changes.  Perhaps:
>> > Attempting to load Environment from FAT (do we have more easily
>> > available info at this point?):
>> > MMC: no card present
>> > ** Bad device mmc 0 **
>> > Failed (-5)
>> > Attempting to load Environment from MMC:
>> > Succeeded
>>
>> Just my 0.02€:
>>
>> In the non-error case, the output should be a single (ideally short)
>> line.
>>
>> Rationale:  to many lines of ourput clutter your screen and make you
>> miss context faster; to many/long lines take time to print so they
>> make booting slower.
>>
>> In the error case, the user should be able to understand what the
>> problem was and decide if it was critical or can be ignored (like
>> here when intentionally booting without SDCard).
>
> I understand, but I don't know if we can get there still.  The problem
> is we don't know if we've succeeded until we've done the relevant
> probing and that in turn is what's breaking the single line, and got us
> to where we are now.

Actually we can, please see my new RFC patch [1]. It's a bit hacky,
but the only other way to do so is to rework drivers (MMC, etc).

Also, I figured how to do prefixing (to display MMC errors as nested
w.r.t. "Loading environment), without adding new field to gd. We can
just add some new GD_LG_ and print prefix when it's installed. I'm
gonna send new RFC soon. Please let me know what you think about [1].

[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-July/335223.html