[U-Boot] [RFC 2/2] env: Add prefix to error messages when loading env

Sam Protsenko semen.protsenko at linaro.org
Thu Jul 19 20:16:20 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 10:52 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Sam,
>
> In message <CAKaJLVuxoS0mz9pDDYqmqomsSfd83kSed=LZ261=wfUUC-Q-Xw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> Also, I figured how to do prefixing (to display MMC errors as nested
>> w.r.t. "Loading environment), without adding new field to gd. We can
>> just add some new GD_LG_ and print prefix when it's installed. I'm
>> gonna send new RFC soon. Please let me know what you think about [1].
>
> This is IMO a totally wrong approach.  We don't want to add more
> code (and more output) jsut to paper over inconsistent error
> reporting.  This problem should be fixed at the root cause, i. e.
> we should report errors where they are detected, and only once.
> If all callers can rely that, in the error path, their callees which
> return error codes, have already printed appropriate messages, there
> is no need to print even more lines.
>
> What we need is not fancy code, but consistent (and consequent)
> error handling.

As a matter of fact, that was first thing that came into my mind when
I started looking into this (and actually I mentioned that way in my
first RFC, I guess). I will try to investigate it further and come
back with more meaningful patch.

My concern w.r.t. this approach is next: if we suppress consequent
warning messages, there might be some other use-case (other than
we would just lose all error messages at all. I'll try to check if we
have such cases as well.

Overall: agree with your review, thanks.