[U-Boot] [BUG] qemu-x86_defconfig does not build with GCC 8.1

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 00:40:38 UTC 2018

Hi Heinrich,

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Heinrich Schuchardt
<xypron.glpk at gmx.de> wrote:
> Debian Buster has upgraded gcc to version 8.1.

Do you know any pre-built gcc 8.1 that can be used on other
distributions than Debian Buster, so that I can take a look? I am
currently on Ubuntu 16.04.

> With gcc 8.1 I get an error when trying to build qemu-x86_defconfig
>
> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:7465: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized
> character is `@'
>
> The problematic line in the generated assembler code is
>
> .long   end.6133 at gotoff-start.6130@gotoff
>
> This difference relates to the length of a linker generated list and is
> only needed for debugging. It is not generated when compiling without
> option -g.

Without '-g', does gcc 8.1 build?

> Compilation on x86 works fine with gcc 7.3.
> gcc 7.3 simply does not generate the line at all.

Does gcc 8.1 on Debin Buster come with multilib support? I vaguely
remember old version did not which would cause build error.

> To generate the complete assembler code use gcc with options
> -S -fverbose-asm.

Regards,
Bin