[U-Boot] DRAM clock frequency issue

Greg Maitz ghh19622 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 02:11:43 UTC 2018

Hi - I have a target Atheros 9344 board on which I have loaded U-boot
version 1.23.2. On the reference board, the DRAM clock frequency has
been set to 400 MHz and it works well. But when the same clock
frequency is used on my target board , mtest (memory test) fails.
However, when I reduced the clock frequency to 300 MHz, the mtest
passes and it appears to be stable.
The reference and target boards are alike in almost every respect. The
DRAM specifications are the same but the manufacturer is different.

 I tried setting the DRAM timing parameters on my target DRAM to be
aligned with the numbers in the data sheet. When I load the Linux
kernel after this, there are a variety of kernel panics seen if I
leave it on overnight. They are OOPS messages such as "Unable to
handle kernel paging request at virtual address", I think they may be
related to the DRAM clock frequency setting.

I'd like to eventually use 400 MHz clock for the DRAM clock frequency
on my target board. If anyone has faced a similar scenario earlier,
kindly share your tips to debug the problem.