[U-Boot] DM-SERIAL-SPL on MX6

Hannes Schmelzer hannes at schmelzer.or.at
Thu Jun 7 08:35:25 UTC 2018

On 06/07/2018 09:50 AM, Sébastien Szymanski wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Sébastien,

> On 06/07/2018 09:14 AM, Jagan Teki wrote:
>> + Add few imx maintainers
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 12:25 PM, Hannes Schmelzer
>> <hannes at schmelzer.or.at> wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i'm actually trying to convert my i.mx6 boards to DM, many things are
>>> already doing well.
>>> But I've trouble getting the console (UART) runnin SPL.
>>>
>>> The "preloader_console_init" is called very early in board_init_f, i guess
>>> that DM isn't ready at this point.
>>>
>>> has anyone experience in this?
>> Yes I've faced the same, look like DEBUG Uart doesn't support low
>> level init. Peng or someone can explain more.
> When converting the OPOS6UL to DM, I had to move the
> preloader_console_init call into the spl_board_init function.
thanks for this hint, i also tried this. But unfortunately without success.
But it is good to know that this way on your side works.

what i've done to try make it work:

add to my dts:
     chosen {
         stdout-path = &uart1;
     };

&uart1 {
     u-boot,dm-spl;
     u-boot,dm-preloc;
     status = "okay";
};

so the device should be present during spl stage and console should be
set to it.

# Serial drivers
#
CONFIG_BAUDRATE=115200