[U-Boot] Verified boot production uses question

Teddy Reed teddy.reed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 17:27:15 UTC 2018

Hi all, question, is anyone using the U-Boot verified-boot in production?

I am using configuration verification for several OpenCompute/OpenBMC
boards. After a deep-dive review I found some edge cases that in rare
circumstances could lead to a signature check bypass. I think this is
low-risk at best since the scenario requires special hardware behavior
to exist. Our board were susceptible in the general sense, but we had
implemented some additional sanity checks on the FIT structures that
prevented this.

There are some proposed changes that attempt to mitigate this [1],
[2], [3]. Any one of these changes mitigates the bypass scenario. If
you don't mind reaching out to me I can share the exact
situation/details.

[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-June/330454.html
[2] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-June/330487.html
[3] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-June/330599.html