[U-Boot] U-Boot CONFIG_OF_BOARD vs CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE

Student - John Chan Kar Onn John_Chan at mymail.sutd.edu.sg
Thu Jun 21 09:14:18 UTC 2018

Hello,

I came across this commit on the github repo titled: "fdtdec: allow board to provide fdt for CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE" dated 10th Jan in lib/fdtdec.c

The commit changes the following lines:

>elif defined CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE

>    ifdef CONFIG_SPL_BUILD

>        if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_SPL_SEPARATE_BSS))

>            gd->fdt_blob = (ulong *)&_image_binary_end;

>        else

>            gd->fdt_blob = (ulong *)&__bss_end;

>    else

>        gd->fdt_blob = (ulong *)&_end;

>endif

>elif defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD)

>    gd->fdt_blob = board_fdt_blob_setup();

>elif defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD) || defined(CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE)

>    gd->fdt_blob = board_fdt_blob_setup();

where

>if defined(CONFIG_OF_BOARD) || defined(CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE)

>__weak void *board_fdt_blob_setup(void)

>{

>    void *fdt_blob = NULL;

>ifdef CONFIG_SPL_BUILD

>    if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_SPL_SEPARATE_BSS))

>            fdt_blob = (ulong *)&_image_binary_end;

>    else

>            fdt_blob = (ulong *)&__bss_end;

>else

>    fdt_blob = (ulong *)&_end;

>endif

>    return fdt_blob;

>}

>endif

>From what i understand, this means that the definition of CONFIG_OF_BOARD and CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE would have the same behaviour.

Is this the intended outcome?

As I am working on a rpi, the defined board_fdt_blob_setup in board/raspberrypi/rpi/rpi.c would run instead of the weakly defined board_fdt_blob_setup from above.

If i wish to have the ability for CONFIG_OF_BOARD and CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE to have the previous behaviour of board_fdt_blob_setup, should i revert the fdtdec.c or make the edits under rpi.c?

Many thanks in advance

Warmest Regards,

John Chan

This email may contain confidential and/or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended for receipt and use solely by the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this email, or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. Please delete the email immediately and inform the sender. Thank You

The above message may contain confidential and/or proprietary information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended for receipt and use solely by the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please inform the sender immediately by reply e-mail or telephone, reversing the charge if necessary. Please delete the message thereafter. Thank you.