[U-Boot] UBoot running UBoot - is it possible?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 13 16:00:05 UTC 2018

Dear Simon,

In message <CAAh8qsxB3YNoDruZnmcPvkygc7HXVOcf=PNdA4xRp=PjmQANsw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> My idea was to let SPL implement a dedicated boot counter/watchdog
> that detects problems starting U-Boot and using a backup copy if it
> fails multiple times. Of course you need an SPL on your board to do
> this. Plus you end up with the same problem for updating SPL, but I'm
> lucky here that my platform (socfpga gen5) has redundant storage for
> SPL and implements a startup watchdog mechanism for the SPL.

In other words, you are just adding enough additional complexity to
SPL to make it reasonably likely that there will be bugs that need
to be fixed later, i. e. you have to update the SPL.

And then?

You are just moving the problem, not solving it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I had the rare misfortune of being one of the first people to try and
implement a PL/1 compiler.                             -- T. Cheatham