[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2018.11 delayed a day

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 14 10:21:49 UTC 2018

Dear Boris,

In message <20181114104745.26dde1fa at bbrezillon> you wrote:

> First of all, if you want to blame someone, it should be me not Jagan,
> since I'm the one who insistently asked Jagan to apply the patch series
> and send a PR to Tom. Now some explanation on what this series fixes.

Thanks - I understand the situation, and I'm not complaining abut
the bug itself (we all make mistakes), but about this "has been
fully tested" statement.

> Regarding the lack of testing, I understand your concern, but look at
> the amount of config options we have for MTD or the various way we can
> retrieve the mtdparts/mtdids info. I don't think we can easily test all
> of these, or at least not in a reasonable amount of time. I'd love to
> be proven wrong though.

If we wanted to be serious about testing (i. e. if sombody is
willing to invest a bit of time) we could test much more thoroughly.
Heiko has a number of tbot [1] based test cases running routinely on
a number of boards, and if you look at the number of bugs he found
and reported it cleanly shows how efficient this is.

If we were consequent, we would have implemented a test case for
this specific bug and added it to the list of routinely run tests.

[1] https://rahix.de/tbot/index.html

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity  when  it  comes  to
using technology they don't understand.