[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2018.11 delayed a day

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Nov 14 12:21:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:40:58PM +0100, Stefan Roese wrote:
> On 14.11.18 12:32, Anatolij Gustschin wrote:
> >On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 23:13:29 +0100
> >Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com wrote:

> >>Will anyone have any chance to test those fixes to verify they didn't
> >>break anything ?
> >>
> >>I believe this is yet another manifestation of the problems of the 2
> >>month release cycle, which I think is too short and stressful.
> >
> >Yes, and patches with fixes sometimes wait long time without review
> >or testing and miss the release, then people start to complain when
> >the released code is buggy. What about this [1] patch? Could someone
> >please review/test it? Can it be applied to v2018.11 ?
> >
> >[1] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/985919
>
> Yes, this definitely is a valid fix and should be pulled.

For the record, I saw that, then saw that fb01e07a95 was from January
2018 and decided that since we'd had the regression for a few releases,
one more wouldn't hurt.  Especially since it feels like there's
resistance to having code changes, in general and aside from the
PR-under-question, towards the end.  I guess I need to rework my own
patch criteria.

> But things like this (fixes missing the release) will always happen,
> even if we have a 3 month release cycle. Perhaps we should think
> (again?) about having some sort of stable releases, like 2018.11.1?
> IIRC, we had something like this at some time. Then we could push
> fixes like this one mentioned by Anatolij even after the original
> release.

We've done an occasional ".1" release for fairly big breakages of the
release.  If we want to do something like that more regularly I'd be
happy to read a proposal on how often / what kinds of changes go in.
Thanks!

--
Tom