[U-Boot] [PULL] Please pull u-boot-imx

Ricardo Salveti rsalveti at rsalveti.net
Fri Nov 16 01:05:44 UTC 2018

Hi Baruch,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 5:07 AM Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il> wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 11:42:44AM -0200, Ricardo Salveti wrote:

> > > Thanks for testing.
> > >
> > > It seems we need more information from Peter about the regression he reported.
> > >
> > > It would be helpful if Peter could run a bisect so that we could
> > > understand where the regression is coming from.
> >
> > Finally got the time to test u-boot 2018.09 on my hummingboard 2 and I
> > can also confirm the boot issue with imx6q (Hummingboard 2 MicroSOM
> > i2eX iMX6D - rev 1.3).
> >
> > The patch set that introduced this regression was part of another pull
> > request, the one that introduces eMMC booting support (from Jon
> > Nettleton, e.g. 86e5a7fc13 and 19ed6063a5). After doing some more
> > testing it seems that the hang happens when trying to verify if the
> > board has eMMC during runtime (has_emmc -> mmc_get_op_cond(mmc)),
> > which is not the case for this SOM in particular (and probably why it
> > works fine on most rev 1.5-based SOMs, as eMMC is usually available
> > there).
> >
> > Tested with current u-boot master and the issue is still valid.
> >
> > Jon, did you have any issue when testing that patch set on SOMs
> > without eMMC support?
>
> I tested U-Boot successfully with SOM rev 1.3 (no eMMC) on Hummingboard2, as
> shown in my previous message on this thread.

Indeed, you tested with i.MX6Q, only difference is that mine is iMX6D,
but both without eMMC.

> What toolchain are you using?

Using GCC 8.2 from latest OpenEmbedded. Will try building with the
version you used to see if I get any different behavior.

> What do you see on the serial console?

It boots up to the point when it tries to find the emmc, and then it
basically hangs completely (tested with current master):

U-Boot SPL 2018.11+gf6206f8587 (Nov 16 2018 - 00:56:34 +0000)
Trying to boot from MMC1

U-Boot 2018.11+gf6206f8587 (Nov 16 2018 - 00:56:34 +0000)

CPU:   Freescale i.MX6D rev1.5 996 MHz (running at 792 MHz)
CPU:   Extended Commercial temperature grade (-20C to 105C) at 33C
Reset cause: POR
Board: MX6 HummingBoard2
DRAM:  1 GiB
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1