[U-Boot] environment reliability after "env default -f -a"

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 16 13:20:43 UTC 2018

Dear Sam,

In message <CAKaJLVveZcdD-OCCRXCSJT0KVeWD1M9G+AqPxX9pSs4MRoLoaw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> My question is: do we rely on environment to be the same after doing
> "env default -f -a", comparing to environment after reboot? If so,
> should I provide some sort of env callback to run corresponding
> routines on "env default" event (like [1])?

We should rather not rely on this.

I think many boards contain board-specific code to manipulate the
environment, especially on first boot (and resetting the env usually
makes the next boot a "first" one).  You cannot scan all board
specific code for such actions, or implement any generic handler for
this.

[Well yes, maybe one could rewrite all such board-specific code into
some common "first boot handler" that could be called from a central
place,  but who should do that?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
As usual, this being a 1.3.x release, I haven't  even  compiled  this
kernel yet. So if it works, you should be doubly impressed.
      - Linus Torvalds in <199506181536.SAA10638 at keos.cs.Helsinki.FI>