[U-Boot] [swupdate] Re: SWUpdate - U-Boot environment library dependency

Simon Goldschmidt simon.k.r.goldschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:48:59 UTC 2018

On 21.11.2018 16:41, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Simon,
>
> In message <CAAh8qsyopV-HftdCWMbMu+fdcpqWWQtBnZDDyqFyv6iC1eoCDA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>> Only if you use signed images.  With plain U-Boot, there is not even
>>> a checksum for it...
>> When SPL loads U-Boot from a legacy image, isn't there a CRC involved over
>> the full image including the environment?
> Yes, but when - for example - the compiled in default environment
> gets corrupted while loading from the storage device or while
> writing it to RAM, there will be zero check when reading it.

Hmm, on my board, SPL loads U-Boot from NOR to SDRAM, then checks the
uimage CRC. I'd say this is enough checks. That might not hold for all
boards though.

But I still think keeping the default environment in a different place
would be good.

Could we put U-Boot into a fit image and put the environment in a
subimage? But it might increase SPL code size when a fit image has to be
parsed...

Regards,
Simon