[U-Boot] arm: sunxi: Bananapi_M2_Ultra not working with DM_MMC

Paul Kocialkowski paul.kocialkowski at bootlin.com
Mon Apr 8 14:01:42 UTC 2019

Hi,

Le lundi 08 avril 2019 à 19:21 +0530, Jagan Teki a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 7:06 PM Paul Kocialkowski
> <paul.kocialkowski at bootlin.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le lundi 08 avril 2019 à 19:03 +0530, Jagan Teki a écrit :

> > > Which commit message your referring to? are you referring this
> > > patch[1] commit message. let me point what exactly is the issue?
> > >
> > > [1] http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=commit;h=a7cca5793774ee139b75a704d6efaa4d29f09f93
> >
> > Yes, this is the patch I'm talking about.
> >
> > The issue with it is that the commit message is totally redundant: the
> > description does not say more than what the diff does.
> >
> > A git commit description should provide context about what the change
> > does above the modified lines: what problem it tries to resolve and how
> > , on what hardware, how it was tested, etc. Especially for a commit
> > making such a big change, the commit message must have all this
> > information.
> >
> > Do you see why I think it's a problem?
>
> I can't agree if we consider the series of changes in one set. As I
> mentioned in another mail, this patch is last from the DM_MMC
> migration series and as the last one it enable the DM_MMC global to
> Allwinner (not respective to board). The previous patches are trying
> to support and fix DM_MMC on respective SoC's and board. ie the reason
> I didn't mention any thing related to board or any other information
> since It is global SoC change.

I don't think this is relevant. You can't expect people to go through
the list archive, find which series this commit was attached to,
etc. Especially when running a bisect, where you'll end up with a
single offending commit.

You need to make sure that each commit message provides context about
what it's doing, and not just rephrase the diff.

In order words, it's *never* okay to just re-work the diff, you
*always* need to describe the context. That's not something optional to
only do on special occasions.

Cheers,

Paul

--