[U-Boot] uboot sandbox tracing

Witkowski, Andrzej andrzej.witkowski at intel.com
Wed Apr 10 13:06:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response and fix for the issue.

Do you know when your patches will be pushed to an official u-boot repository?
Could you send/share me the patches earlier if it will last longer than a few days, please?

My next step is to investigate how to enable traces for arm u-boot on qemu (qemu_arm_defconfig and qemu_arm64_defconfig), but I'm not sure if the path was tested by anyone at all.
Currently, I am able to compile arm u-boot for qemu, but observe qemu hang when it tries to run arm u-boot with traces ON.
This is what I do to compile and run arm u-boot on qemu:
- I put the definitions below to "include/configs/qemu-arm.h" file
#ifdef FTRACE
#define CONFIG_TRACE
#define CONFIG_CMD_TRACE
#define CONFIG_TRACE_BUFFER_SIZE        (16 << 20)
#define CONFIG_TRACE_EARLY_SIZE         (8 << 20)
#define CONFIG_TRACE_EARLY
#define CONFIG_TRACE_EARLY_ADDR         0x00100000
#endif
- I comment out the lines below in "examples/Makefile" file
#subdir-y += standalone
#subdir-$(CONFIG_API) += api
- I perform the commands below:
make distclean
make qemu_arm64_defconfig CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-7.4.1-2019.02-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-
make CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/toolchain/gcc-linaro-7.4.1-2019.02-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-
qemu-system-aarch64 -machine virt -cpu cortex-a53 -nographic -no-reboot -bios u-boot.bin

After running qemu it hangs.
I perform all my activities on Fedora 28, gcc (GCC) 8.3.1 20190223 (Red Hat 8.3.1-2), QEMU emulator version 2.11.2(qemu-2.11.2-4.fc28), u-boot latest source code.

Could you give me your opinion on my steps above, please?
Do you know if, currently, is it possible at all to run arm u-boot with traces ON on qemu?
If so, could you give me a contact point to help me enable the path, please?

Andrzej Witkowski
ND Poland
SW Developer

Intel Technology Poland