[U-Boot] Migration to KConfig

Marcel Ziswiler marcel.ziswiler at toradex.com
Fri Apr 12 09:08:49 UTC 2019

Sali Pascal

On Fri, 2019-04-12 at 07:52 +0000, Linder Pascal wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> My task is to migrate a board from a U-Boot of version v2016.01 to
> the latest state of the mainline. So first of all, I am analyzing the
> configuration system KConfig that has changed in the meantime.
>

> I do not really understand what has changed with KConfig. Is it just
> the fact that we can now declare the configurations in the
> "defconfig" file?

You may find the full documentation about Kconfig here:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt

> As I have seen, the KConfig file in the board specific folder only
> contains general information like the vendor and board name.

Yes, for a board maintainer in U-Boot this pretty much jsut boils down
to adding a Kconfig file along your board files e.g. like [1]. And then
just like you already found out there needs to be a default
configuration file e.g. like [2]. This one may be created as follows:

make savedefconfig

Which saves a minimal configuration to a file called defconfig.

> I would really appreciate a helpful answer that brings me further in
> my school project.

Of course further migration work you may want to tackle is driver model
(DM) and/or device tree enablement.

Should you have any further questions you know where to ask (;-p).

[1]
https://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/toradex/colibri_vf/Kconfig;h=5f7129dd359bfb6d392f77cd5a58994e6ea2929d;hb=HEAD
[2]
https://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=configs/colibri_vf_defconfig;h=41925012571e14ea2ee7b8d6e7f1755cd649c2a4;hb=HEAD