[U-Boot] why does "board_init_r()" accept a second arg of "ulong dest_addr"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Apr 12 13:49:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2019, Simon Glass wrote:
>
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 at 06:31, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > >

> > >   was tracing the ARM-based boot sequence and ended up at the call to
> > > board_init_r():
> > >
> > >   void board_init_r(gd_t *new_gd, ulong dest_addr)
> > >   {
> > >         /*
> > >          * Set up the new global data pointer. So far only x86 does this
> > >          * here.
> > >          * TODO(sjg at chromium.org): Consider doing this for all archs, or
> > >          * dropping the new_gd parameter.
> > >          */
> > >         ... snip ...
> > >
> > > but as i read board_init_r(), it's not clear what that routine is
> > > doing with that second argument, "dest_addr".
>
>   ... snip ...
>
> > I believe this is not used. The value is available in gd->dest_addr
> > and we now read it from there.
> >
> > So perhaps this argument could be dropped.
>
>   massive sigh of relief here as i was totally prepared for a response
> like, "oh, come on, how can you not see how it's being used?" :-)
>
>   anyway, i can take a shot at a patch unless someone else wants to do
> it. i'm just relieved that it wasn't that dumb a question after all.

  i take it back ... there are, of course, calls to board_init_r()
from all over the place, across all architectures, so if someone
higher up the food chain wants to do something about that, that's fine
-- all i needed to confirm was that that second argument wasn't doing
anything. thanks. movin' on ...

rday

                         http://crashcourse.ca