[U-Boot] very short list of "badref selects" in u-boot source

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 08:46:01 UTC 2019

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 8:43 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   rather than go to the trouble of whipping up a wiki page, i can
> present this in a short post to the list. here's the list of what my
> script identified as "badref selects" -- those identifiers for which
> there is a Kconfig line of the form:
>
>   select X
>
> where there is no corresponding:
>
>   config X
>
> the entire list:

>   first, the two with the "CONFIG_" prefix are obvious typos which
> should have those prefixes removed.
>
>   as for the rest, as one example, consider "CRC32":
>
>   $ git grep "select CRC32"
>   cmd/Kconfig:    select CRC32
>   cmd/Kconfig:    select CRC32
>   drivers/mtd/ubi/Kconfig:        select CRC32
>   fs/btrfs/Kconfig:       select CRC32C
>   $
>
> there is no matching "config CRC32" anywhere, although there is:
>
> include/image.h:#  define CONFIG_CRC32          /* FIT images need CRC32 support */
>
> in any event, others are welcome to decide what to do about that short
> list of suspicious "select" directives. i am not trying to be
> annoying, i am merely succeeding.

I had a look into a few of these. CPU_ARM926EJS1 and GPIO also appear
to be typos. I've sent patches to fix them.

You're also right about CRC32. It appears that lib/Makefile has had
obj-y += crc32.o (or the equivalent) for as long as I've been able to
trace. Note that CRC32C does have a config option so be careful when
grepping. I'll look at a series for that as well.