[U-Boot] Board specific files

Matthias Brugger mbrugger at suse.com
Tue Apr 16 10:20:47 UTC 2019

On 03/04/2019 14:58, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hello Pascal,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 3. April 2019, 09:08:57 CEST schrieb Linder Pascal:
>> I am new to U-Boot and I am trying to understand what I need to code for
>> using my own board with the bootloader.
>
> Welcome. :-)
>
> I try to describe my view on this, anyone correct me, if something is wrong.
>
>> The device tree files I have already found under ./arch/arm/dts/. Can I just
>> add my device tree under this directory?
>
> Yes. Note: you probably can not just copy a dts file from the Linux Kernel.
> From what I discovered when adding a new board lately, those files are
> slightly different.
>
>> Also, what is the difference between the configuration files under
>> ./configs/ and ./include/configs/? Do I need to add a file in both of the
>> named directories?
>
> For setting board options and more, U-Boot uses the Kconfig system from the
> Linux kernel (adapted to the needs of U-Boot). In the old days everything was
> set as preprocessor define in a board specific header in ./include/configs but
> more and more options have been converted over the years.
>
> Today you still need that header in ./include/configs but fewer things are set
> there with each new U-Boot release.

There is no documentation which config has to go into the include folder,
correct? I had a hard time to figure that out as well.

I suppose the situation here is the same as with DM, where we have boards and
drivers which are not yet converted. Do we have a roadmap to convert the legacy
configs to the new Kconfig system?

Regards,
Matthias