[U-Boot] [RFC] Migrating iMX LCDIF drivers to Driver Model

Igor Opaniuk igor.opaniuk at toradex.com
Tue Apr 16 12:04:41 UTC 2019

Marek, Peng,

Writing to you as you were the main contributors to U-boot mxsfb
driver implementation (i.MX23/i.MX28 LCDIF driver).

I was about to start working on it's migration to DM (currently mxsfb
is being used on our SoM Colibri iMX7S/D), but found it a bit
out-dated (no one introduced any changes for the last 5 years) and
maybe it's really does make a sense to fetch and port the latest one
from the Linux mainline (in a sake of avoiding divergence in
implementation and continue fetching future updates from the Linux
kernel).

So there are 2 questions spinning in my mind:
1) In case if you are maybe aware, if there were any intentions to do
this migration before?  (maybe someone asked similar questions or even
send some patches, but didn't manage to upstream that; or did similar
stuff in some downstream U-boot forks, whatever). Unfortunately I
can't any information regarding this in U-boot ML archives .

2) Will it be OK if I introduce a brand new mxsfb driver (ported from
Linux), which will be used only when U-boot is built with
CONFIG_DM_VIDEO enabled? Existing mxsfb will be left as it is, so I
can be removed easily when full migration to DM is done for all boards
that are using this driver.

Simon,

Could you also provide you feedback for 2 (if introducing a brand new
dm-enabled driver is a good idea), thanks!

Thanks in advance for you comments/suggestions!

--
Best regards - Freundliche GrĂ¼sse - Meilleures salutations

Senior Development Engineer,
Igor Opaniuk

Toradex AG
Altsagenstrasse 5 | 6048 Horw/Luzern | Switzerland | T: +41 41 500 48
00 (main line)