[U-Boot] Booting Linux kernel on x86_64

Ryan Wilkins ryan at elevated-networks.com
Fri Aug 9 21:36:53 UTC 2019

> On Aug 9, 2019, at 12:00 PM, Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +Simon, Andy,
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
>> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:52 PM Ryan Wilkins <ryan at elevated-networks.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I’m trying to get u-boot 2019.04 to execute the Linux 4.19.55 kernel from u-boot on a generic Core i5 with 8 GB RAM and having issues.  The kernel that I’m trying to boot will boot fine from GRUB so I know it works but starting from u-boot just shows “Starting kernel” and the system appears to freeze.
>
> Which specific Core i5 processor are you using? And what's the U-Boot
> target for that board? Is that U-Boot as EFI payload or something? Did
> you set up U-Boot environment variable "bootargs" with Linux kernel's
> command line, e.g.: I think you need at least specify console=tty0 or
> ttyS0?

I’m using a Core i5-6500 on a Supermicro X11SSV-Q mainboard.
U-boot is compiled as an EFI 64-bit payload which came from the efi-x86_payload64_defconfig.  I disabled xHCI USB support because it was freezing on this board and preventing u-boot from doing anything else.
I was setting bootargs to “console=tty0” during a few of the boot tests but it didn’t seem to make any difference.