[U-Boot] Question about GPL v3 font

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 23 09:51:04 UTC 2019

Dear Tom,

In message <20190726170700.GQ20116 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> >           It was designed in 1987. A subset of Nimbus Sans L were released
> >           under the GPL. Although the characters are not exactly the same,
> >           Nimbus Sans L has metrics almost identical to Helvetica and Ari=
> al.
> >           (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
> >           From: https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
> >           License: GNU GPL v3
> >           http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> It's a good question.  I suspect the answer is that we should drop that
> font as I don't know if you can combine "GPLv2 only" and "GPLv2 or
> later" with "GPLv3".

Should we not first make sure the license is really GPLv3?

At the moment the URL https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/nimbus-sans-l
does not work.  But there are other sources which suggest that this
font might actually be GPLv2 instead, see for example "Licensing" at
https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/nimbus-sans-l

Or see https://www.1001fonts.com/nimbus-sans-l-font.html

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. "Where shall I begin,  please
your Majesty ?" he asked.
"Begin at the beginning,", the King said, very gravely,  "and  go  on
till you come to the end: then stop."                -- Lewis Carroll