[U-Boot] Distro bootcmd: Re: 5.2-rc1 boot on Unleashed

Palmer Dabbelt palmer at sifive.com
Mon Jun 3 19:17:43 UTC 2019

On Mon, 03 Jun 2019 10:02:57 PDT (-0700), trini at konsulko.com wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 09:44:28AM -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

>> > The distro_bootcmd doesn't work for the sifive platform yet because it
>> > doesn't set the correct MAC address for booting.
>> >
>> > Andreas.
>> >

>> Before we go an use distro_bootcmd and drag in a bunch of legacy stuff
>> we really should not be using, can we make some kind of effort to decide
>> what the design goals and boot flow should look like instead using the
>> default legacy behavior of a bunch of hard to read and maintain CPP
>> macros?
>
> I feel like you're calling "what everyone agreed on and uses today"
> legacy just because it already exists.  It is a bit complex because
> devices are so complex, rather than it having to support one-off
> situations or similar things people usually call "legacy".

The goal in RISC-V land is to avoid inventing our own stuff, particularly when
there's an agreed upon way of doing things.  As far as I can tell the users
(ie, distros) all want this distro_bootcmd stuff because it's what already
works in ARM land.  While I'm not really a bootloader guy, the general
arguments in favor of distro_bootcmd appaer to be "we tried it some other ways
and that was a mess, but this way works".  That is a really strong argument to
me.