[U-Boot] i.MX8MM mapped register access causes crashes

Schrempf Frieder frieder.schrempf at kontron.de
Thu Jun 6 06:47:52 UTC 2019

On 06.06.19 03:58, Peng Fan wrote:

>> Subject: Re: [U-Boot] i.MX8MM mapped register access causes crashes
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 10:52 PM Peng Fan <peng.fan at nxp.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You need to pass an arg after `md 0x302d0000`. Default it will dump a
>>> lot registers, might 40 registers. It surely will crash, because there
>>> are only a few registers in GPT1 which is the address you are dumping.
>>
>> Other suggestion is to make sure that the clock for the peripheral you are
>> trying to access is turned on.
>
> Dump `md 0x302d0000 1` will surely work, but dump `md 0x302d0000 100`
> will surely crash. The clock already on. It is that GPT1 does not have 100
> registers, and trigger error when dumping non-existed registers.

Thanks for your suggestions. I just used GPT1 as an example. As you can
see GPT1 registers can be dumped, but at the start of GPT2 it crashes.

I have the same problem for all kinds of other peripherals. For example
I tried to enable I2C1, but the driver hangs in probe when it accesses
an I2C1 register for the first time.

I suspect that this is either, as Fabio said, caused by clocks that are
turned off, or because of trustzone settings. I'm not loading any ATF at
the moment, so I'm booting from SPL directly to U-Boot proper and I'm
not sure if the trustzone settings restrict access to the peripherals in
this case.

Thanks,
Frieder