[U-Boot] [PULL] u-boot-usb/master

Eugeniu Rosca roscaeugeniu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 14:24:54 UTC 2019

Hi Marek,

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 02:35:12PM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 6/15/19 11:46 AM, Eugeniu Rosca wrote:
> > Hello Marek, Lukasz cc: Sam
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
> > [..]
> >> Sam Protsenko (3):
> >>       fastboot: Fix slot names reported by getvar
> >
> > Commit [1] from this PR got replaced by series [2].
>
> Replaced where ? [1] seems like a fix to me, [2] seems like feature
> addition ,

Your instincts are correct (i.e. features must be rejected at this late
stage) and they deserve credits. However and what seems extremely
interesting is:
 - it is very easy to masquerade a fix as a feature (and viceversa),
   just by slightly adjusting the title [1-2] and it's very easy to
   play with your perception this way
 - it seems like there isn't a process (and this is a OSS-wide issue) of
   marking a patch as fix/feature (the latter would help the maintainer
   enormously)
 - it also appears that sometimes there is a fine line in our minds
   between what's a fix and what's a feature

So, in a nutshell, series [2] is the v2 of commit [1].
IMHO there is no feature added.
The two commits from series [2] are:
 - https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1116099/
 - https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1116101/

What's interesting is that, depending on which version of fastboot
utility users use/assume, they might see a "regression" introduced
by [1-2]. Both [1-2] do changes to align U-Boot with latest fastboot
utility from AOSP. What [2] is doing _in addition_ to [1] is:
 - remove some dead code in U-Boot which will never be exercised
   assuming users run the latest fastboot
 - place a bold warning in commit description that users are assumed to
   be using the latest fastboot utility

> so merging [1] this late in the release cycle seems like the
> right thing to do.

My assumption is that Sam would like to see [1] being dropped in favor
of [2], as commented in https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1114850/#2194140

> > [1] https://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-usb.git;a=commit;h=97a0c6ff577d57f162abc696c4efc962981229b1
> > [2] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/cover/1116097/ ("fastboot: Support
> > new A/B slot format")