[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.07-rc4 released

Andreas Färber afaerber at suse.de
Sat Jun 22 19:49:14 UTC 2019

Hi Simon,

Am 22.06.19 um 21:14 schrieb Simon Glass:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 20:08, Andreas Färber <afaerber at suse.de> wrote:

>>> Here I think you are talking about distributions. But why not just
>>> take every second release?
>>
>> You're missing my point: What good is it to do a release when you
>> yourself consider it of such poor quality that you advise others not to
>> take it?
>
> Who said that?

You, quoted above. In response to my concerns about decreasing quality
you suggested to take only every second release. That doesn't improve
the quality of either. It implies that one may have such bad quality
that people should skip it and yet does nothing to improve the next.

> Your point, I thought, was that people didn't have time to test it?

Not quite, I was talking about the full build-test-report-fix cycle
taking its time. Bugs in one -rc don't necessarily get detected and
fixed in time for the next -rc.

And I fail to see how your suggestion of skipping releases gives them
more time to test before the U-Boot release. That would rather be an
argument for slowing down the U-Boot release cycle beyond 3 months
(which I'm not asking).

Regards,
Andreas

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)