[U-Boot] What if ATF can be part of U-Boot source, like SPL?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Sun Jun 30 14:29:27 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 04:20:41PM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 6/30/19 4:17 PM, Tom Rini wrote:

> >> So can we also add Linux as a submodule ? And glibc ? Maybe busybox too ?
> >
> > Just as you suggested Jagan look at other SoCs and how they assemble
> > images, I think you also need to take a wider look around.  The concept
> > of "take U-Boot, other firmware blobs, combine and mangle that" is
> > somewhat widely used.  It's not just sunxi that spits out a "can't find
> > ATF, this image won't boot!" warning.
>
> So, U-Boot spits out that it cannot find kernel image and refuses to
> boot, do we also import Linux into the codebase because of that ?

It's a build time warning, because we're generating the image that
people expect to use to initialize their device and we must not produce
images that will brick the system.

> But Linux also spits that it cannot find init and refuses to boot. Do we
> import systemd/sysvinit/upstart/... because of that ?
>
> No, we do not. That's what build systems like OE or buildroot or whatnot
> are for. If you want to assemble your image by hand, that's also fine,
> surely you should be capable of replicating what the documentation / OE
> / buildroot recipe suggests.

You're not suggesting OE / buildroot for day to day development of
U-Boot are you?

> > If we can cleanly and solve that
> > by easy for users to add git submodules to their tree (I am _not_ saying
> > mainline U-Boot add submodules, to be clear) and they then get
> > functional images, that will help a lot of different groups.  We have a
> > lot of README files today in-tree telling people to jump through hoops
> > to get ATF and put it somewhere and run another tool on top.
>
> IMO ATF is completely separate from U-Boot and can be updated
> separately, just like Linux, so I don't see how this would help.
> Update the READMEs if you want, that would help the most I think.

If you don't see how it would help then I think you need to broaden your
development horizons.  I can see how "make all" producing an image that
won't brick your device being helpful.

--
Tom