[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.10 released

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 15:36:08 UTC 2019

> It's release day and while we've once again had some last minute
> regression fixes, I feel things are as stable as they are likely to get
> so I've tagged and released v2019.07 and I would like to thank all of
> our contributor for their efforts.
>
> To repeat something I posted about in the previous -rc release, I've
> clarified on the http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/CustodianGitTrees page
> that the "next" branch is expected to be rebased.  Why?  While I'm not
> sure if I want to apply things directly to the next branch and then give
> them some sort of automated testing, I do want to try and give changes
> some sort of build testing and similar sooner than I have, and that was
> at least a related problem.
>
> In terms of a changelog,
> git log --merges v2019.10-rc4..v2019.10
> or
> git log --merges v2019.07..v2019.10
>
> For this next release, one big concern I have but that I am hopeful we
> will be able to overcome is that we need to remove Python 2.7 support.
> Python 2.7 itself is end of lifed on January 1st, 2020.  There's been a
> number of patches posted that get us a good part of the way there and I
> believe we can get the rest done before the deadline.

I think the big missing piece was to rebase libfdt to the upstream
1.5.x series that now supports python3, the issue there from memory
was that it bloats some things, Simon was investigating and going to
post a patch set for upstream dtc/libfdt to resolve some of the issues
but I'm not sure if he'd reported back on the latest status of that
work.

Peter