[U-Boot] Uboot is rejecting valid initramfs (compressed cpio) with "Wrong Ramdisk Image Format"

Qu Wenruo quwenruo.btrfs at gmx.com
Sat Oct 12 10:52:02 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm using initramfs (gzipped cpio) to boot my board (RockPi4).

The problem is, if initramfs is loaded other than old initrd, booti
command will just fail with "Wrong Ramdisk Image Format".

I'm currently working it around by not using initramfs/initrd, and
compile the fs module into the kernel.

But that's really an ugly solution, and I'm surprised why Uboot is doing
such check.
As kernel has a much better support for initrd/initramfs, with different
compression support and sanity check.

I would argue the check in Uboot is completely useless, kernel can do
the same thing and do it better, while the check is only prevent valid
compressed initramfs.
(Also in x86 world, most distros have already swtiched to initramfs)

Can we just skip that check?

Thanks,
Qu