[U-Boot] Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Sat Oct 26 22:15:36 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 05:13:57PM +0200, Daniel Schwierzeck wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> Am 23.10.19 um 05:50 schrieb Aaron Williams:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been tasked with porting our Octeon U-Boot to the latest U-Boot
> > and merging it upstream. This will involve a very significant amount of
> > code that generally will not be compatible with other MIPS processors
> > due to our needs and requirements. For example, the start.S will need to
> > be completely different than what is present. For example, our existing
> > start.S is 3577 lines of code in order to deal with things like RAS,
> > exceptions, virtual memory and more. We need to use virtual memory since
> > U-Boot can be loaded at any 4MB boundary in memory, not just 0xbfc00000.
> > A number of drivers will need to be updated in order to properly map
> > pointers to physical addresses. This is needed anyway, since I see
> > numerous drivers that assume that a pointer is a DMA address. For MIPS
> > this is never the case (I'm looking at XHCI).
>
> Good to see some progress in mainline Octeon support. Could you briefly
> describe the differences and commonalities in booting an Octeon CPU
> compared to other "generic" MIPS cores? Or could you point me to a
> public Git tree? It can't be that different because Linux kernel is also
> able to share most of the code ;)
>
> In principle you could compile an own start.S in your mach-octeon
> directory, but you should try to use the generic start.S which is
> already customisable and extensible. If needed, we could add more
> extension points to it. Booting from any custom memory address is
> already supported and very common for other MIPS based SoC's. Exception
> support is also already there.
>

> > The new Octeon U-Boot will be native 64-bit instead of how the earlier
> > one was 32-bit using the N32 ABI (so 64-bit addresses could be
> > accessed). We had to jump through some hoops to make a 32-bit U-Boot
> > fully support 64-bit hardware.
>
> We have 64 bit support for MIPS. I even sync'ed the asm/io stuff from
> Linux in the past (which includes support for Octeon) so that you would
> be able to use the standard IO primitives and ioremap stuff and hook in
> your platform-specifc memory mappings.
>

> > I think we can shrink the code by removing support for starting "simple
> > executive" tasks. Simple executive tasks are bare metal applications
> > that can run on dedicated cores beside Linux (or without Linux). I will
> > also not be porting any support for anything older than Octeon3.
> >
> > We also make heavy use of our SDK in order to perform hardware
> > initialization and networking. In our old U-Boot, we have almost 900K
> > lines of code. I can cut out much of this but much will remain.
> >
> > We also have added extensive infrastructure for handling SFP and QSFP
> > cables as well as very extensive phy support for phys from
> > Aquantia/Marvell, Vitesse/Microsemi, Inphi/Cortina and an Avago gearbox.
> > Our customer wants us to port all of this to the new U-Boot and upstream
> [...]

Daniel makes a lot of good points and I defer to him on general MIPS
questions.  What I do want to add is that it's a good idea to start by
focusing on the minimum needs to be able to boot Linux and aim for a
medium term goal of having enough upstream that all of the other things
that can live downstream, as Daniel suggests, be applied in your
internal tree and work over time to minimize that delta, either by
re-evaluating use-cases or submitting more code upstream.

--
Tom