[U-Boot] [EXT] Re: Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Aaron Williams awilliams at marvell.com
Wed Oct 30 23:36:19 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:05:25 PM PDT Tom Rini wrote:
> External Email

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 03:50:00AM +0000, Aaron Williams wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have been tasked with porting our Octeon U-Boot to the latest U-Boot
> > and merging it upstream.
>
> [snip]
>
> I want to jump back up back to the top of this thread.  And first I want
> to say that I am glad that there is official desire to upstream support.
> This is good.  My concern is that the plan seems to be, at a very high
> level, "get everything we have for every feature upstream".  But as been
> said elsewhere this would roughly double the total LOC for the project,
> and it's not like we're a new project with a small handful of things :)
> It's impossible for the community to review that much code in any
> meaningful way over anything less than a period of several years.  I
> know you've said that to support various customer use cases you need all
> sorts of other things, and while I'm certain that's true, I believe the
> plan needs to be to step back and pick the smallest possible testable
> unit, and upstream it.  And add to it, small pieces at a time.  Thanks!

It might be easier if I were a maintainer for our SOC to limit the needed
review of a fair bit of the code. I have already found I can cut out a large
chunk of our code by removing support for our older models. Much of the code
has been very well tested, for example our serdes initialization and DRAM
initialization code. That's not to say I can't do some cleanup.

The changes to U-Boot itself should be relatively small as long as I can keep
much of our code under arch/mips/arch-octeon and arch/mips/cpu/octeon much
like how our ARM code is. For anything that is applicable to other
architectures I will place it in the appropriate locations.

Our ARM code is quite a bit simpler than MIPS because on ARM most of the heavy
lifting is done by our "BDK" bootloader as well as ATF. On ARM, U-Boot doesn't
need to deal with SFPs, serdes initialization, DRAM initialization, hot plug
or a myriad of other issues.

I noticed the same with X86.  If it weren't for these other layers the X86
code would also be quite large.

I have already identified quite a few very large files that will be removed,
such as the error handling code for or Octeon2 and earlier CPUs.

Additionally I have identified a number of register definition files I can get
rid of, including one that's 2.3MB in size! These files tend to be huge
because they contain definitions for every single chip and revision as well as
big and little endian definitions. On top of that, there are a huge number of
comments. Each field contains all of the text that is in our hardware
reference manuals. There is no dearth of comments. I should be able to cut the
size of the remaining files to 1/4th their current size or even smaller.

Some files will still remain quite large, however, such as our serdes
initialization and DRAM initialization code (which I plan to re-architect
because the original author didn't believe in functions due to stack
limitations. (it is well commented though). If you ever want to learn all the
gory details of DDR4 link training and finding trends and so-forth it's all in
there. The current memory initialization code is over 1MB in size. I plan to
cut this down and break it up in a clean manner. The initialization code has
grown in complexity and size over the years as various instabilities have been
identified and fixed. The DRAM initialization code for our OcteonTX2 CPU is
almost as large, though this code has been cleaned up and re-written. There
really is no way to avoid this. The OcteonTX and OcteonTX2 DDR initialization
code is similar to that for Octeon. In the case of U-Boot on our ARM SoCs,
though, initialization is done before U-Boot is loaded.

I'll move the init code to drivers/ram/marvell/octeon. It will be about twice
as large as the AXP driver (which only handles DDR3). The serdes init code I
figure could go under drivers/soc/marvell/octeon.

I noticed that there are several directories under drivers for memory. There's
drivers/ram, drivers/memory and drivers/ddr. These should be consolidated. I
think some code might be able to be common, such as the SPD decoding code.
It's even possible that some algorithms might be able to be made common such
as deskew training and read/write leveling.

In terms of Octeon specific features, there really aren't too many of those
but most of the ones we have are essential in the bootloader. There's no
avoiding the Serdes and low-level network initialization. The serdes init code
works across all networking interface types (SGMII, 1000Base-X, XAUI, RXAUI,
XFI, XLAUI, 25G (XLAUI), SATA, PCIe, SRIO plus all the variants (i.e. KR). It
also configures all the clocks and equalization. It's not like a simple
gigabit NIC nor is it offloaded to some other layer. Some of this code will
come later, for example support for NUMA with CN78XX (96 cores, 256GiB of
RAM).

Currently we are using 39MB under arch/mips. I think I can easily cut this
down to 15MB or smaller, especially by moving some code here to the
appropriate driver directories (i.e. DRAM,  pcie, watchdog, etc.)

It will still be a large SoC, though.

-Aaron