[U-Boot] DFU and UBIFS Volume upgrade

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Wed Sep 4 05:24:52 UTC 2019

Hello Loic,

added Lukasz as he is the DFU custodian.

Am 03.09.2019 um 09:59 schrieb Loic Poulain:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIU, today it's possible to update a UBI partition via DFU with a new UBI
> blob using 'partubi'.

Yes.

> However, this causes two issues/limitations:
> - It erases the partition, causing PEB erase counters amnesia (contrary to
> Linux ubiformat)

Yes, patches which fixes this are welcome :-P

> - It's no possible to have a volume-grained upgrade (per UBIFS volume)

I am not to deep in the DFU topic involved, but I think the problem
is that ubi is not an interface like "nand" or "mmc" it is more something
like a partition type ...

The big problem with writting an ubi image into nand is, that you
need to store the image first in RAM and you may have not enough ...
so may writting volume serverally it may help out here.

On the other side, it is may possible to introduce an ubi interface for
UBI volumes. But what if your board has not setup yet UBI, nor the UBI
Volumes? Is there an interface in DFU for setting up something like
"partitions" ? You need to pass several parameters to create a new
UBI Volume ...

May Lukasz can say here more ...

I prefer nowadays to boot a linux and use swupdate, which can handle
UBI Volumes ...

> I saw some (very) old threads on this subject but no conclusion. Did I miss
> something? any recommendations?

No there is no update on this, or I do not know it.

bye,
Heiko
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de