[U-Boot] Using CONFIG_ENV_FLAGS_LIST

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Mon Sep 9 13:10:47 UTC 2019

On 09/09/19 14:54, Claudius Heine wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On 09/09/2019 13.26, Stefano Babic wrote:
>> Hi Claudius,
>>
>> On 02/09/19 16:02, Claudius Heine wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently looking into variable flags in order to make some
>>> variables read-only for secure boot.
>>>
>>> The idea is that the u-boot binary is signed, while the environment
>>> file/partition is not. So the built-in default environment of u-boot can
>>> be trusted, while the external environment cannot. The assumption is
>>> that those flags can be used to customize the validation when the
>>> external environment is loaded or scripts/commands are executed.
>>>
>>> From the '/README' I gather that the access attributes can be any of
>>> "any", "read-only", "write-once" or "change-default".
>>>
>>> I first tried to restrict the variables by choosing 'read-only', but
>>> apparently this applies to the internal environment as well, and now
>>> those variables are not loaded from the internal environment.
>>>
>>> Then I tried 'write-once', this worked now as expected from within
>>> u-boot, but I could modify the environment from the linux userspace via
>>> fw_setenv and those changes appear in u-boot as well. The same for
>>> 'change-default'.
>>>
>>> Is there another way to fill the internal environment variable hash
>>> table, so that 'read-only' works as expected?
>>>
>>> Heiko wrote some patches that change the behavior of the environment
>>> external environment.
>>
>> But I think this is not mainlined.
>
> Correct.
>

>>> This way 'write-once' should work as expected, but
>>> I think 'read-only' should work that way already and we are missing
>>> something here.
>>
>> But '.flags' shoudl also be set as write once, else it is possible to
>> rewrite the .flags variable making all environment read-write.
>>
>> Heiko's patch is a work-around to get a signed environment. What I had
>> for is to provide a signed environment (outside U-Boot with
>> libubootenv), and U-Boot just verifies as it does for a kernel image -
>> U-Boot does not need a private key, but U-Boot loses "saveenv" and the
>> environment can be changed only from user space.
>
> Interesting, however loosing 'saveenv' from within u-boot would very
> inconvenient though.

Yes, but saveenv means that the environment must be signed and u-boot
must know the private key, with all consequences. I guess it could go
just with TPM support.

> If the environment signature is invalid, would you
> end up without one or load the internal one as fallback?

The internal is always the falloback - and because if you need this
feature, you have secure boot, U-Boot is signed and then the internal
environment is signed, too.

> If you load the
> internal environment, can it query the external environment verification
> state to handle this case and restore the external environment somehow?

If I understand the question, I think yes. When external environment is
loaded, it could be verified with a public key. And if verified, this
becomes the environment.

Regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de